中国DOS联盟论坛

China DOS Union

-- Unite DOS · Advance DOS · Grow DOS --
Union site: www.cn-dos.net Forum site: www.cn-dos.net/forum
Guest | Log in | Register | Members | Search | China DOS Union
中国DOS联盟论坛
The time now is 2026-10-01 13:21
47,813 topics / 349,918 posts / today 0 new / 48,279 members
DOS启动盘 & LOGO技术 (启动盘室) » Advantages of using MS-DOS 8 as a boot disk
Printable Version  3,690 / 19
Floor1 XG Posted 2003-11-17 00:00
初级用户 Posts 4 Credits 115
I noticed that the forum admin has always been using MSDOS7.1 as the DOS system for boot disks. I don't understand why not use MSDOS 8, that is, the DOS system from the emergency recovery disk generated by WinME. Let me talk about the advantages of using this system, just to throw out an idea:
First, it can boot without loading himem.sys, since IO.SYS already has it integrated.
Second, there is no need to use commands like fileshigh; these are automatically loaded into upper memory.
Third, it uses relatively little conventional memory.

As for disadvantages, I still haven't run into any, because I've just been using this as a boot disk

There must be a reason why this wasn't adopted. Could weniger explain it?
Floor2 Roy Posted 2003-11-17 00:00
管理员 Posts 1,633 Credits 4,869
Because DOS 8.0 does not support devices such as PRN and CLOCK$, and also cannot SYS
Floor3 Wengier Posted 2003-11-17 00:00
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
DOS8 is not pure DOS. It does not support Win3.x, does not support EMM386, does not support PRN or LPT, does not support SYS or FORMAT /S, and also does not support some other DOS programs. It also encrypts IO. Besides, ROM-DOS 7.1, PC-DOS 7.1, FreeDOS, DR-DOS 7.05, etc., like MS-DOS 7.1, all use 7.10 as the version number, so using the common version number 7.10 greatly improves compatibility, while using 8.0 causes compatibility to drop.

Floor4 ch0f0ch Posted 2003-11-17 00:00
初级用户 Posts 8 Credits 171
Question for Super Moderator Wengier:
I often use GHOST, and under the same conditions I have compared DOS7.10 and 8.0 many times. The former is quite a bit slower than the latter. I don't know why that is?
Floor5 savioler Posted 2003-11-17 00:00
中级用户 Posts 136 Credits 422
I used to use DOS8, now I use Wengier's simplified DOS71, and I still feel DOS71 is better
Floor6 Wengier Posted 2003-11-17 00:00
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
ch0f0ch: When you say DOS7.1, do you mean the MS-DOS 7.10 after installing the “MS-DOS 7.10 full installation edition,” or the "WinDOS 7.1" that comes with Win9x and has lots of junk code in it? Or ROM-DOS 7.1 and the like?
Floor7 dos-11 Posted 2003-11-18 00:00
初级用户 Posts 20 Credits 167
MS-DOS 7.10 is still easier to use.
Floor8 龙王 Posted 2003-11-18 00:00
银牌会员 Posts 334 Credits 1,186
HIMEM.SYS can be ported to ms-dos 7.10
Get moving
Floor9 Roy Posted 2003-11-18 00:00
管理员 Posts 1,633 Credits 4,869
The following is quoted from Dragon King on 2003-11-18 16:17:25:
HIMEM.SYS can be ported to ms-dos 7.10
Get moving
That won't work..... the himem.sys in me is the same as the one in 98........ only the himem.sys embedded in io.sys can boot me
Floor10 ch0f0ch Posted 2003-11-18 00:00
初级用户 Posts 8 Credits 171
Quote:
ch0f0ch: When you say DOS7.1, do you mean the MS-DOS 7.10 after installing the “MS-DOS 7.10 full installation edition,” or the "WinDOS 7.1" that comes with Win9x and has lots of junk code in it? Or ROM-DOS 7.1 and the like?
----------------------------------------------
Wengier - The New DOS Era

Thanks, Super Moderator:

It is the MSDOS7.10 version you released (the floppy boot edition from 2003/10/12; I also used the September and July ones), and the speeds are all about the same. But using WINDOWS ME (DOS8.0) is noticeably faster, even though the latter's base memory cannot compare with 7.10.

The GHOST versions I used are 2003 and Corporate Edition 8, and both show this phenomenon I mentioned.

Adding SMARTDRV has no effect
Floor11 XG Posted 2003-11-18 00:00
初级用户 Posts 4 Credits 115


Feels okay, not necessarily worse than 7.10
Floor12 Wengier Posted 2003-11-19 00:00
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
As for what you said about some software being faster under DOS8 than under DOS7.1, I actually haven't noticed that yet. Could you upload a few programs like that for me to test? Thanks!

If it's true, I guess it's probably caused by the embedded HIMEM in DOS8's IO.SYS being rather special. On the one hand, it really does support using a larger XMS handler to call files (for example, the WinME registry file SYSTEM.DAT cannot be fully called under DOS7.1, but it can under DOS8, so DOS7.1 cannot boot WinME properly, and can only properly boot Win3.x/95/98, etc.). But on the other hand, precisely because it is embedded in the DOS8 kernel, compatibility drops. For example, EMM386 is incompatible with it, and it cannot make it possible for software such as UMBPCI and Soft-ICE to load before it.


Floor13 ch0f0ch Posted 2003-11-19 00:00
初级用户 Posts 8 Credits 171
Thanks, Super Moderator:
GHOST8.0 For DOS has been sent to wengierwu@hotmail.com. This software can be found in many places.
Luckily now with a virtual floppy drive, with just a small amount of work I can use DOS7.10 or 8.0, and of course I can also just use WINDOWS. I really have to thank China DOS Union. Before, I had absolutely no way to “write” to NTFS, but now it's all solved. Although I normally only use WINXP, DOS is still life-saving software after all. Thanks again!!!
Floor14 Wengier Posted 2003-11-21 00:00
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
Hello, it seems I did not receive the GHOST 8.0 you sent, but I just found and downloaded it online, and I'll try it in a little while. As for the GHOST speed issue, I wonder if it could be caused by programs like EMM386? Because look here:

http://dos.h-t-t-p.com/dosbbs/dispbbs.asp?boardID=11&ID=8070
Floor15 ch0f0ch Posted 2003-11-21 00:00
初级用户 Posts 8 Credits 171
Thanks, I'll give it a try!
1 2  Next
[ Contact the Union admin team - 中国DOS联盟 - Standard version ]
Sponsored by ifanr Inc | © 2001–2023