中国DOS联盟论坛

China DOS Union

-- Unite DOS · Advance DOS · Grow DOS --
Union site: www.cn-dos.net Forum site: www.cn-dos.net/forum
Guest | Log in | Register | Members | Search | China DOS Union
中国DOS联盟论坛
The time now is 2026-09-30 22:52
47,813 topics / 349,918 posts / today 0 new / 48,279 members
DOS开发编程 & 发展交流 (开发室) » Musings on FreeDOS (and Discussions on Reading and Writing NTFS Partitions Under DOS)
Printable Version  21,336 / 50
Floor16 Wengier Posted 2006-10-03 00:12
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
xugaohui: After I found the problem of the Ctrl+Alt+Del hotkey in HDPMI32 and NDOS yesterday, I reported it to Japheth, the author of HDPMI32. So it seems that this problem has been fixed in the latest test version. Another thing: As I understand, there are some bugs in XCOPY in FreeDOS, while XCOPY supported by HX is much more stable.
Floor17 brglng Posted 2006-10-03 01:29
银牌会员 Posts 466 Credits 1,200 From 上海
Without using XMSMAN, you can't exit ~
Also, where can I download the latest IFS?
Does Paragon have a separate DOS IFS Driver launched? If not, which software does it actually come in?
Also, does FreeDOS's XCOPY support long filenames?

[ Last edited by brglng on 2006-10-3 at 01:34 ]
Floor18 xugaohui Posted 2006-10-03 06:08
高级用户 Posts 293 Credits 774 From 湖北仙桃
It's rare that the webmaster is really kind - hearted, reporting the bug to the author at the fastest speed.

IFS 4.01 comes from Paragon Partition Manager 8.0 Enterprise Edition. The standalone version of IFS may be 3.5. Version 3.5 has poor support for Chinese file names and NTFS. Now version 4.01 is relatively easy to use. After replacing CWSDPR0.EXE with HDPMI32, when executing nd.bat - c, that is, unload, HDPMI32 prompts whether to abort now. Just choose either client or server to exit NDOS. I don't know whether this exit prompt counts as a bug.

After loading IFS, does it affect executing winnt to install XP/2003 in DOS? Will it affect Ghost 8.3? This hasn't been tested. In version 3.5, you must exit to execute Ghost.
Floor19 Wengier Posted 2006-10-04 16:15
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
Originally posted by xugaohui at 2006-10-3 06:08 AM:
It's rare that the webmaster is really compassionate, reporting the bug to the author at the fastest speed.
IFS 4.01 comes from Paragon Partition Manager 8.0 Enterprise Edition, and the standalone version of IFS may be 3.5. Version 3.5 has poor support for Chinese file names and NTFS. Now version 4.01 is relatively easy to use. After replacing CWSDPR0.EXE with HDPMI32, when executing nd.bat -c, which is unload, HDPMI32 prompts whether to abort now
client or server, just choose one to exit NDOS. I don't know if this exit prompt counts as a bug....


After verifying with the author of HDPMI32, Japheth, this is caused by a BUG in NDOS.EXE. I have added the just-corrected NDOS.EXE and the XMSMAN.EXE that was not added last time to the boot disk I posted on floor 5 (the address is http://help.cn-dos.net/soft/dosntfs.zip, which has been reuploaded). Try it again.
Floor20 zhangxue Posted 2006-10-04 18:26
初级用户 Posts 82 Credits 183
Originally posted by Wengier at 2006-10-4 16:15:


After verification with HDPMI32 author Japheth, this is caused by a bug in NDOS.EXE. I have added the just-corrected NDOS.EXE and the XMSMAN.EXE that was not added last time to the boot disk I posted on floor 5 (address ...

You uploaded it wrong, there is no xmsman.exe in it; the NDOS.exe was not corrected. After I added xmsman.exe, I tested xmsman -c to try to exit ifs, but there was still an error message, and I had to press the S key manually to exit.
Floor21 Wengier Posted 2006-10-04 22:18
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
Originally posted by zhangxue at 2006-10-4 06:26 PM:

You uploaded it incorrectly. There is no xmsman.exe; the ndos.exe is not corrected. After I added xmsman.exe, I tested xmsman -c to try to exit ifs, but there was still an error message, and I had to manually press the S key to exit.


Hmm, I was uploading from an external computer room before, maybe the FTP there had some issues causing the upload to be incorrect. Thanks for the reminder. I have now reuploaded it at home (the download link remains the same), and I will try again.
Floor22 fastslz Posted 2006-10-05 00:11
铂金会员 Posts 2,315 Credits 5,493 From 上海
Oh...I'm not interested in FreeDOS, so I haven't been following this thread. It turns out it's discussing IFS! Yesterday I was updating UMBPCI V3.67 and other drivers and also did a Google search for the latest developments on IFS. Now站长Wengier's new solution is great, but when I tested it today, dir >nul still generates a nul file. I wonder if站长 can modify NDOS to fix this bug? With this bug, I still don't dare to use IFS on a large scale under DOS. The generated nul file has to be deleted in DOS. What's more terrifying is that after executing multiple >nul, the nul file can't be deleted under DOS. I once had to format after moving data twice to solve the nul file problem.
Floor23 fastslz Posted 2006-10-05 00:19
铂金会员 Posts 2,315 Credits 5,493 From 上海
If anyone also encounters the problem of being unable to delete the nul file, it is recommended to use Ghost to back up the partition, then use GHOSTEXP to delete the nul file in the image and restore it, which avoids the trouble of moving data and then formatting.
Floor24 GOTOmsdos Posted 2006-10-05 02:10
铂金会员 Posts 1,827 Credits 5,154
I also have the same feeling about FreeDos: After using it, it feels like a hodgepodge pieced together; and the functions are really too meager!
Floor25 brglng Posted 2006-10-05 02:11
银牌会员 Posts 466 Credits 1,200 From 上海
Now it seems that the Paragon series of software is the best among the similar software I have used.

FreeDOS is not weak in functions, just lacking long filename support, and other functions are all there!

[ Last edited by brglng on 2006-10-5 at 02:14 ]
Floor26 brglng Posted 2006-10-05 06:39
银牌会员 Posts 466 Credits 1,200 From 上海
The XMSMAN.EXE in the boot disk provided by Wengier seems to be different from the one I extracted from Paragon Partition Manager 8.0. I don't know why! The XMSMAN.EXE I extracted has an issue. Running xmsman -u prompts "No environment paramentors!"
Floor27 Wengier Posted 2006-10-05 10:12
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
I have already said above that there are some problems with XMSMAN in the latest version, so it is actually not as practical as the previous versions? The version used in my boot disk is the most useful one.
Floor28 Wengier Posted 2006-10-05 10:20
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
Originally posted by fastslz at 2006-10-5 12:19 AM:
If anyone also encounters the problem of being unable to delete the nul file, it is recommended to use Ghost to back up the partition, then use GHOSTEXP to delete the nul file in the image and then restore it, avoiding the trouble of moving data and then formatting.


The issue with nul is best left to Paragon's developers to solve, as this problem is relatively complex and involves a wide range of modifications.
Floor29 Wengier Posted 2006-10-05 16:24
系统支持 Posts 10,521 Credits 27,736
Originally posted by xugaohui at 2006-10-2 11:12 AM:
Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Co ...


When part of NDOS is loaded into UMB, often the total amount of low memory occupied by NDOS.EXE itself is less than 30KB, and together with HDPMI32 it is only more than 30KB. For example, the following is the display result of the MEM command after I booted with the boot disk in VMware:

Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory
-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
SYSTEM 27,984 (27K) 9,552 (9K) 18,416 (18K)
HIMEM 1,120 (1K) 1,120 (1K) 0 (0K)
EMM386 3,200 (3K) 3,200 (3K) 0 (0K)
HDPMI32 13,056 (13K) 13,056 (13K) 0 (0K)
NDOS 23,616 (23K) 16,416 (16K) 7,200 (7K)
VIDE-CDD 5,024 (5K) 0 (0K) 5,024 (5K)
KILLER 400 (0K) 0 (0K) 400 (0K)
SHSUCDX 8,240 (8K) 0 (0K) 8,240 (8K)
DOSKEY 3,968 (4K) 0 (0K) 3,968 (4K)
DOSLFN 28,832 (28K) 0 (0K) 28,832 (28K)
COMMAND 7,424 (7K) 0 (0K) 7,424 (7K)
Free 613,728 (599K) 609,840 (596K) 3,888 (4K)
Floor30 tangtai Posted 2006-10-05 23:18
等待验证用户 Posts 314 Credits 640
Thanks to the webmaster's hard work, I plan to convert one of my partitions to NTFS format to try!
Intensely experience the joy of normally accessing Chinese files in NTFS partitions under DOS!!!
Prev  1 2 3 4  Next
[ Contact the Union admin team - 中国DOS联盟 - Standard version ]
Sponsored by ifanr Inc | © 2001–2023